Wednesday, January 12, 2011

LIFE: Friends and Food... That's what it's all about right?... And 2 of my favorite veggie dishes

The other night I did one of my favorite things. I enjoyed a healthy, flavorful meal and drinks with my husband and friends. I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years and eating and creating delicious vegetarian dishes has turned into a hobby. The creating part has turned into an enjoyable competition with carnivorous eating to prove that meat-free (and dairy-free if possible) dishes are even more enjoyable than all the steaks, hamburgers, and fried chicken I've ever eaten.

The night was potluck style so I brought this AMAZING collared green salad:

- chopped collared greens
- chopped Red or Yellow bell peppers
- chopped green onions
- Olive oil
- tamari
- lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- optional teaspoon of Agave sweetener


This was what was left at the end of the night...


My plate was full with collared green salad, home made corn bread,
brown and wild rice, and the best green beans I've ever had (flavored
with onions, ginger, soy sauce, agave, and love)

After a long night... We started with 5 bottles....


I also wanted to share another one of my favorite dishes that I JUST created 2 days ago!
Have you ever dreamt up a dish (flavor, color, smell and all) and then created it perfectly? I envisioned a spicy, rustic, deep Red, tomato-y, did I mention spicy? dish with chunky veggies. I created it like I had been making it for years :)
Spicy rustic tomato-y veggie stew. I'm not a chef so I honestly can't tell you how much of each ingredient to use:
- 1 regular size can of tomato sauce
- lots of paprika and ground sage
- olive oil
- finely chopped or food processed onions, garlic, and cilantro
- 1 large jalapeno pepper cut in half
- 2 small habanero peppers cut in half
- 2 large Anaheim chilies
- 2 large pasilla peppers
- vegetables of your choice (I chose zucchini and cauliflower)
- served with optional rice
~ heat about 4 table spoons of olive oil in a pan and pour in the paprika and sage. Mix. This will create a thick paste
~ pour in the tomato sauce and stir
~ add all of the peppers and let simmer for 10 minutes
~ add all veggies and cook for another 10-15 minutes
~ serve over rice
Perfection... Enjoy!
*** All images taken with my Canon 60D camera.
-CAMILLE

1 comment: